Sunday, December 6, 2009

An introduction

Hey y'all. Since there's no single place to fit all my rambling nonsense on films, I figure I should set aside a nice safe place for myself to include all the insight on my mind. Instead of anonymously throwing thoughts on the absurdity of internet message boards or subjecting my friends on facebook or livejournal to the madness and embarrassingly obsessive thoughts I have on film.

So, why should you bother? Well, I'm a pretty cool cat. I'm just learning about the basics of film theory at NYU Tisch School of the Arts for Cinema Studies, which you can think of as learning about film more through example than practice (you can get in the fabulous Film & Television department). Hopefully I don't get kicked out anytime soon, since I get the perks of all the early releases of films being in the city and an occasional free screening or two. I'm not sure quite yet what I would want to do with this education, but I figure it'd give me enough background to pursue the actual filmmaking process if I so pleased or just some vocation that has to do with spewing my silly thoughts on film like I will do with this blog.

So this will have the usual. Film reviews, and of a much more conversational tone than more formal critiquing involves. I'll also be more inclined to dwell on the positives rather than the negative since I'm much more passionate when I write about what I love about a movie than what doesn't work for me, unless I'm just really aggravated at the unqualified praise it may receive. And award predictions. And what a perfect time of year for that! And, I mean REALLY involved predictions. Not just for the Oscars. There will be critics awards and other superfluous film organization honors that will occur before the Oscars.
And, dudes, seriously: the Academy Awards are my equivalent to the Superbowl.

So, I'll get this going pretty soon. My first upcoming posts should concern the film Up in the Air I saw tonight (hint: I liked it!), as well as some thoughts on the current status of the awards season post-NBR (National Board of Review — it'll all be explained) and pre-Golden Globes. So, yeah. I might even throw in a few earlier thoughts of movies like An Education, Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire and District 9, just for the sake of relevance to this current awards season.
Eventually I'll get to very personal lists of the best movies of the year and some own personal awards of my own I feel entitled to give out. And so far, this is a pretty damn good year.

So, till then.

Jai Ho,
Ibad.

PS - don't be too concerned if I stray from purely cinematic topics from time to time. My interests encompass many fields.

No comments:

Post a Comment